Friday, April 27, 2007

Anemia caused by Iron deficiency in infants

I recently started treating a 14 months year old baby boy, that his (standard) blood test at 1 year age came back with Hemoglobin 10, when it should be 13 for kids his age. The herbal treatment just started and we will find out how it worked only after the next blood test, in a month or two. Meanwhile I searched the web for some information about Iron-Deficiency Anemia, and found this great article, That reminded me that treating this Anemia is first based on proper nutrition and the herbal treatment is only supportive. In this article you can find lists of foods you should eat when you have this Anemia or Suggest to your patients if they have it. I will return to report on this baby as i get further news from his mother. Because this case has no symptoms except some numbers on some paper, I used (after consulting with my teacher) a standard blood-tonifying formula:
Shan Yao 12
Fu Ling 12
Bai Shao 12
Bai Zhu 12
Gu Ya 12
Ma Ya 12

If any of you have experience with such case I would appreciate it if you post your suggested formula as a comment.

Benny.

No comments: